General Job Requirements:
Job Title: Executive Chef
Reports To: Director of Food and Beverage
Department: Food and Beverage
Direct Reports: Culinary Staff Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to: ProvidenceMarriottHR@marriottprovidence.com
The Executive Chef will lead the culinary team on a daily basis with efficiency, respect, friendliness, professionalism, teamwork, knowledge, patience, awareness, compassion, courtesy and initiative. Understanding the culinary philosophy of the Providence Marriott Downtown with attention to detail and follow through of all company policies.
- Journey Philosophy - Demonstrate knowledge of the Meyer Jabara Journey Philosophy and practices, culture, terminology, organizational structure and principles. That philosophy should be portrayed in the professional appearance, behavior, integrity, openness and accessibility to employees. Achieve performance objectives in accordance with the components of empowerment and principles of leadership. Exhibit a "hands on" approach to training, developing and working alongside employees and a commitment to individual growth. Your role is that of Coach and Mentor to your management team and associates. Maintain an open-door policy to encourage and support positive employee relations and guest satisfaction.
- Management Responsibility - Demonstrate strong working knowledge and support of departmental SOPs, hotel LSOPs and overall familiarity with company SOPs. Fulfill the responsibilities of the hotel's MOD program. Portray a professional manner with regard to appearance, behavior, ethics, and compliance with policy. Promote effective people/supervisory skills through reward and recognition as well as progressive discipline, thus ensuring a positive and productive work environment. Develop employees for future promotion within the Meyer Jabara system.
- Communications - Communicate accurately and timely. Use successful communication techniques to ensure staff has a clear understanding of information. This should include an awareness of special needs. Conduct and facilitate effective meetings through established agendas, effective use of time and clear objectives. Prepare clear, legible and concise correspondence, memos, letters, instructions and reports following the correct format. Effective verbal communication will be key.
- Financial Responsibility - Control departmental expenses through effective use of forecast data, proper scheduling, responding to business fluctuations. Control departmental expenses through adherence to purchasing (BuyEfficient and approved Marriott vendors) and requisition procedures, cash and credit policies and overall follow-up to issues that affect profit or loss. As a Department Head, hold a shared responsibility for the overall financial success of the hotel. Make purchase decisions against established supplies and tools pars.
- Human Resources - Be fully aware of all Human Resources SOPs and LSOPs as it pertains to the following: hiring, orientation, training, PA processing, performance appraisals, coaching and counseling. Demonstrate knowledge of company benefit programs. Model strong employee relations qualities by developing teamwork and maintaining high morale, and introducing incentive opportunities to the team. Ensure all Human Resource policies and practices are applied consistently while adhering to all federal, state, and local laws. Promote solid solutions to the Associate Opinion Survey and monitor these action plans. Participate in HR associate planned events. Introduce reward and recognition programs.
- Safety & Security - Be active in the management role of safety and security. Must be versed in all emergencies, HAZCOM, OSHA and injury/accident reporting procedures. Implement steps to ensure the safety of the staff, guests and the owner's investments, by being proficient at CPR, alcohol awareness (MOD requirement), first aid and emergency procedures.
Job Specific Tasks:
Act with integrity, honesty and knowledge that promote the culture, values and mission of Meyer Jabara Hotels. Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, professional, gracious service at all times. Performs all aspects of position with efficiency, respect, friendliness, professionalism, teamwork, knowledge, patience, awareness, compassion, courtesy and initiative. Represents the restaurant professionally through effective communication, cooperation and relationships with all business partners. Collaborates with team to create a culture and work environment based upon respect; fosters opportunities for team to learn, grow and develop their abilities. Leads the culinary staff, ensures that service standards are on par with all outside accreditation sources. Understand completely all programs, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs. Offer positive solutions to problems or issues and be a voice that is part of the decision-making team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly and courteous service at all times. Be responsible for the timely updating of the BlueFin Grille menus. Oversee and coordinate the planning, organizing, training and leadership necessary to achieve stated objectives in sales, costs, employee retention, guest service and satisfaction, food quality, cleanliness and sanitation. Provide leadership to create a culture and work environment based upon respect; providing opportunities for staff to learn, grow and develop their abilities through training of employees and creating a positive, productive working environment. Possess a Qualifying Certificate in Food Protection from the local Department of Health that has jurisdiction over the employing property. Assume 100% responsibility for the quality of products served. Attend all scheduled associate meetings and bring suggestions for improvement. Document all recipes in a standard kitchen format and share with culinary staff. Perform inventory and purchasing responsibilities on a daily basis. Work with the Human Resources Director in creating and sustaining an internship program that embraces diversity, education and discipline. Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant's recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards. Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations. Continually strive to develop staff in all areas of managerial and professional development. Prepare all required paperwork in an organized and timely manner. Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant's preventative maintenance programs. Ensure that all products are received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the hotel's receiving policies and procedures. Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed in a timely basis. Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurant, employees and guests. Know and comply consistently with kitchen rules, policies and procedures. Assist in creating a dynamic menu for all events that evolves and changes on regular basis. Supervise the kitchen during prep and service periods. Schedule labor as required by business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when needed while maintaining labor cost objectives.
Minimum of six years experience in kitchen preparation and cooking in a fine dining restaurant. Two years in management capacity. Must be impeccably groomed, maintain good hygiene, good posture and have required uniform and tools. Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (minimum of 12 hours / day). Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds. Must have the stamina to work a minimum of 60 hours per week.
I have read the job description above and understand the requirements. I have the ability to perform all of the functions listed above. Furthermore, I understand that this is not to be construed as an employment contract, nor does this job description necessarily include all the essential functions of the position. The hotel reserves the right to modify, add or remove elements from this job description at any time. Providence Marriott Downtown, One Orms Street, Providence, Rhode Island, 02904, USA Managed by Meyer Jabara Hotels: https://www.meyerjabarahotels.com
Email to: providencemarriottHR@marriottprovidence.com
Apply online at: https://us232.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/mjh/Posting/View/9775